Book an Appointment for free counselling MEET A COUNSELOR

Study Abroad Guide

Steps to Get into University in USA for Masters

October 2021

There are many famous universities in USA like Harvard, Stanford, Yale, but these universities are just the tip of the iceberg. There are around 150 universities as well as colleges in America that rank internationally. There are around 4300 universities which offer 1700 Master's degree. For people who are seeking academic excellence then studying in the US should be their main priority. Universities in US are flexible and students are given the opportunity to grow. Thus, pursuing masters in USA for Indian students seems a logical choice.

The reason why one should study for a Masters in America is that it has world-class universities, it is the most popular destination for international students, even though the Master's degree in America isn't cheap, the funding for talented overseas students is plenty.

While applying to universities in USA for ms one needs to be more focused because the universities take a lot of time and efforts with the application process so that the students end up in the right program.

Universities in USA for Masters

USA Application Documentation

When applying to best universities in USA for ms, two integral components of your application are the SOP and LOR.

In your Statement of Purpose, apart from covering your academic and professional background, also offer insights as to why you wish to study in USA in that course at that particular university.

Based on your academic and professional background, universities will ask for 2-3 LOR's. Ensure that your LOR, speaks highly about your skills and attributes.

Intakes to Study Master's at USA Universities

The main intake of universities in the USA is during Spring and Fall.

USA Admission Requirement for Master's

  • Before applying one must check the requirements of the university. One needs to have 3 to 4 years of experience in the relevant field.
  • 3.5 or higher GPA, which is 87% in Bachelor's.
  • The GRE score should be 330 or above.
  • Full academic transcript as well as references with personal statement.

The main intake period of universities in USA for masters is during Spring and Fall.

USA Visa

The USA has a very strict immigration system, but still welcomes thousands of international students every year. There are two types of student's visas granted by the US department and that is F-1 and M-1 visa. M-1 visa is for non-academic purpose while an F-1 visa is for universities and other higher education. The validity of an F-1 visa is until the duration of one's course which is defined by the university.

Edwise helps the students to go through all the procedures and also help students to fulfil their dream of completing a Master in USA university.

Top universities in USA for MS

Mentioned below is the list of universities in USA for masters:

The best ms colleges in USA for Indian students offer a plethora of courses to choose from. The most popular courses that students enrol in are:

  • Information System
  • Pertroleum Engineering
  • Marketing
  • Political Science
  • Finance
  • Physician Assistant Studies
  • Economics
  • Computer Science
  • Mathematics
  • Healthcare Administration
  • Civil Engineering
  • Occupational Therapy

FAQs: Top Universities in USA for MS

How to apply for USA university for MS?

Applying to institutions in the United States usually entails a number of processes. An outline of the procedure on how to apply for USA university for a masters is provided below:

1. Investigate and Shortlist Universities: Begin by investigating US institutions that offer programs that interest you. Consider variables viz., proximity, academic reputation, available scholarships, and campus culture. Create a list of favoured universities for your applications.

2. Learn about the admission requirements at your shortlisted MS universities by visiting their official websites. Keep in mind application dates, standardised test requirements (SAT, ACT), English language proficiency exams (TOEFL, IELTS), recommendation letters, essays, and other papers.

3. Prepare if necessary for exams like the SAT or ACT. Register early and allow plenty of time for study and practise. Similarly, if an English proficiency test is required, plan appropriately.

4. Collect Required Documents: Begin gathering necessary application materials, viz., academic transcripts, recommendation letters from professors or mentors, test scores, essays/personal statements, and the completed application form.

5. Personal Statements/Application Essays: Create captivating personal statements or essays for college applications. Through careful writing, highlight your experiences, passions, and objectives. If necessary, modify the essays to meet the requirements of each university.

6. Request Recommendation Letters: Get recommendation letters from knowledgeable people, viz., professors, employers, or teachers. Give them all the information they need and enough time to complete the letters before the application deadline.

7. Fill out the Online Application: Register on the university's application portal and carefully complete the online form. Check the accuracy of all the information before submitting. Watch out for any additional paperwork or costs that may be required.

8. Provide Supporting Documentation: Submit any required supporting materials (transcripts, test scores, recommendation letters, and essays) as directed by each university. Ensure prompt submission.

9. Payment of Application Fees: Submit the requisite application fee using the university's online portal or follow the payment instructions provided.

10. Monitor Your Application Status: To stay abreast on the status of your applications, use the web portals given by colleges.

11. Interview Preparation: Prepare for potential interviews if universities require them. For better preparation, research typical interview questions and practise your responses.

12. Attend to Admissions Decisions: Wait for the universities' review after completing all application procedures. Admission decisions are often communicated by email or the application portal. Before making a decision, consider admission letters and financial aid packages (if applicable).

How to apply for university in USA for Indian students involve the steps mentioned above. Familiarize yourself with the requirements and dates of each university to which you're applying, as the application procedure can differ slightly. Best wishes for your applications!

What are the prerequisites for a master's degree in American universities?

You could apply to an MS programme in the US without having a specialised Bachelor of Science degree. A bachelor's degree in the pertinent field must be earned, nevertheless (concerning the MS field you have chosen).

You must meet these prerequisites in order to pursue an MS degree in the US:
3 to 4 years of a bachelor's degree in the pertinent discipline with a 3.0 average GPA or 65 to 70% and above
Evidence of your English language proficiency exam results, such as IELTS or a GRE score of 290 or higher
Statement of Purpose
A minimum of two to three letters of recommendation

Indicators that strengthen your application further include the following:
Research and internship projects
Any scholarly publications
Evidence of any community or leadership involvement

How much does it cost to pursue a master's degree in the USA?

Before choosing to pursue a master's degree in the USA, it is important to examine the cost of doing so. Depending on the university and subject of study, the average MS tuition fee in the USA ranges from 20,000 to 65,000 USD (INR 16.50 to 53.62 lakhs) annually.

Are there any scholarships offered to foreign students pursuing master's degrees in the USA?

For both domestic and foreign students pursuing Master's degrees in the USA, different scholarship options are available, including academic or merit-based awards, financial aid for those in need, etc.

How long does it typically take to complete a master's program in the United States?

Although the length of time required varies from person to person, master's degrees normally take two years to finish. It could take you less time to earn your master's degree-or more time-depending on your degree program and whether you're attending school full- or part-time.

In the United States, is it possible to work while pursuing a master's degree?

Simply put, the answer is that it is possible to work and pursue a degree. While studying in the United States, international students are permitted to work, but they must adhere to certain restrictions and guidelines.

What are the most sought-after master's degree specialties in the USA?

Among the most popular MS programs in the USA are:

  • MS in Artificial Intelligence
  • MS in Computer Science & Engineering
  • MS in Cyber Security
  • MS in Data Science
  • MS in Construction Management
  • MS in Project Management
  • MS in Biotechnology
  • MS in Health Informatics
  • MS in Business Analytics
  • MS in Pharmaceutical Sciences
  • MS in Robotics and more.

Begin your USA journey wiith Edwise today.

Master in USA University

Also read: Questions You Must Ask a University at a Virtual Fair

Back to All "Overseas Education Articles, Resources, Tips and Tricks"


For Complete Information About Overseas Education, Contact Edwise Overseas Education Consultants, on 1-800-102-0336 (Toll Free)

Post your comment


Be Wise Apply Through Edwise

Request An Appointment

Get Social with us

Subscribe For Our Blogs