Book an Appointment for free counselling MEET A COUNSELOR


Frequently Asked Questions about Study in USA

December 2021

Overseas education is a sphere of education that is constantly evolving and changing to be relevant with the changing scenarios across industries and verticals. With that goal in mind, students from all over the world flock to popular study destinations to indulge and avail of these advanced educational offerings.

One such destination is the United States of America. Study in USA for Indian students has become the preference for those who wish to study abroad. The USA stands at the epicentre of advancement and technology as it is a leader in education. Education in USA is considered to be the best of the best and is constantly making new strides in the industry. Universities in USA are among the top ranked institutions globally and are very popular among international students. Not only that, courses in USA are also globally ranked and most sought after. Admissions to these courses are extremely competitive and have excellent career prospects for its graduates.

Now before you choose to study in USA, here are a few frequently asked questions to help you understand some intricacies before you begin your application to universities in USA. These are listed below:

Colleges in Canada

Are 15 years of education accepted for study at universities in USA?

  • Yes. While a majority of universities in USA require international students to have 16 years of education to be eligible for admission, there are many universities that accept 15 years of education as well.
  • These universities accept those many years of education, provided that the applicant also has a few years of experience as well.
  • Some universities may accept the application without the professional experience as well.

How do I finance my education in USA?

  • The journey of study abroad can be a costly affair. Students can fund their education through multiple avenues.
  • For people who have a strong financial status, they may use their personal funds to finance their education. Some may use fund provided by an extended family member.
  • In case the individual doesn't have any of the previously mentioned, the student may avail of a Student Loan.
  • These can be taken from either a private or commercial bank.
  • Commercial Banks however, offer competitive rates and longer repayment options for students.
  • Students may also apply for scholarships or financial aid after receiving their offer letter from the universities in USA.
  • Scholarships are highly competitive and students must aim to send in their applications as soon as possible.

What tests do I need to give to be eligible for courses in USA?

  • Along with making their applications to study at universities in USA, students are required to take a certain battery of tests to be eligible for study.
  • These tests can be divided in to admission tests and language proficiency tests. Based on their level of study, students have to appear for the respective examination.
  • The admission tests that students are required to take are: Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), which is popular among MBA students; Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) usually for Graduate programs; Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) usually for undergraduate programs. Any one has to be attempted based on the desired level of study.
  • The language proficiency tests that students need to appear for are: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); International English Language Testing System (IELTS); Pearson PTE: Pearson English Language Tests (PTE). Again, students have to appear for either one based on their level of study.
  • Students are required to meet a minimum score, and above, to be eligible for admission.

What are the intakes offered by universities in USA?

The major intake of US colleges and universities in USA are Fall (September). Some universities also offer a Spring (January) intake.

What is the ideal timeline to start the application process for courses in USA?

It is usually advised that the student begins the process of study in USA at least 12-15 months before the intended intake. This will also help them have a better shot at securing a scholarship.

Can I work alongside my study in USA?

Yes. According to the guidelines issued by the government, students are permitted to work 20 hours a week on-campus during term time and full-time i.e. 40 hours during vacation time.

Is it possible for me to change schools once I reach the USA?

  • Yes. Students can switch colleges or universities once they reach USA.
  • Once students arrive in the USA, they are governed under the USCIS rule.
  • Based on this rule, if a student desires to switch institutions, they are required to finish at least one semester at the school.
  • However, it is advised that students make an informed decision on their university from the get go.

What is the concept of a Transfer Student?

  • A transfer student is one who completes at least 2 years of their Bachelor/Diploma program in a specific country and then applies for a transfer to one of the universities in USA.
  • In the entire transition, a few credits are waived off and the transfer status depends on the courses covered in India and the grades for the same.
  • The exact transfer of credits is rare when a student decided to study in USA.

What are the stay-back opportunities available?

  • For Study in USA for Indian students, after their graduation, they receive 1 year to stay back and work in the USA.
  • This is popularly known as OPT (Optional Practical Training).
  • Graduates of STEM programs however, get a 36 month stay back option to work in the USA.
  • After the 36-month period, these graduates can apply for a H1B Visa (Work Visa) to continue staying in the USA.

For further assistance or queries students can contact us, Edwise International, and avail for our wide range of services for students on destinations like Universities in UK, study in UK, study in USA, Study in Ireland, study in Canada, study in Australia, study in New-Zealand, study in Singapore and many other countries.

Courses in Canada for International Students

Also read: Questions You Must Ask a University at a Virtual Fair

Back to All "Overseas Education Articles, Resources, Tips and Tricks"


For Complete Information About Overseas Education, Contact Edwise Overseas Education Consultants, on 1-800-102-0336 (Toll Free)

Post your comment


Be Wise Apply Through Edwise

Request An Appointment

Get Social with us

Subscribe For Our Blogs