The State University College at Buffalo, known as Buffalo State College or SUNY Buffalo State, is
a public college in Buffalo, New York, United States, and is part of the State University of New
York (SUNY) system. Buffalo State College was founded in 1871 as the Buffalo Normal School for
the training of teachers. Located on a 125-acre campus in the heart of Buffalo’s cultural corridor,
SUNY Buffalo State now offers a wide array of academic programs, including 171 undergraduate
programs with 11 honors options, 11 post baccalaureate teacher certification programs, and 61
The college is almost always referred to as Buffalo State to contrast it with the much larger nearby
school State University of New York at Buffalo, known locally as the "University at Buffalo",
"UB", or "SUNY Buffalo".
Buffalo State was ranked 31 in the category Top Public Schools Regional Universities (North) by
U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Colleges 2012.” When all public and private institutions are
included, Buffalo State is ranked 104 in the Top Regional Universities (North) Tier 1. In the same
report, it ranked 73rd nationally for graduate schools in Speech-Language Pathology. Ranking Web
of Universities ranks Buffalo State 4 out of 100 top universities in the Northern Region of the
United States and 1,000 out of the top 12,000 in the world. International Colleges & Universities
ranks Buffalo State as the 17th best university in New York State out of 145.
Location & Facilities
Buffalo is a city in Western New York and the seat of Erie County, located on the eastern shores of
Lake Erie at the head of the Niagara River. As of 2014, Buffalo is the second most populous city in
the state after New York City
Neumann Hall, Perry Hall, Porter Hall & Cassety Hall are first - year areas. These buildings are
corridor style, traditional settings with rooms opening off a main hallway.
Towers 1, 2, 3, 4 are areas on campus for upper class students. Towers 1, 2, 3, 4 are suite style
housing. A suite has three bedrooms connected to a shared bathroom and living area. Each bedroom
is generally shared by two people. In these halls you will find a study lounge, TV Lounge, computer
lab, and laundry facilities. Special themed living communities for music and theater majors are
housed in Tower 4.
Apartment Style Halls include Moore Complex and the Student Apartment Complex (STAC).
Moore Complex offers two and three bedroom apartments available in townhouse or flat layouts.
Apartments are a combination of single and double bedrooms with one bathroom, a living area, and
a full kitchen. Moore Complex also houses the Family College Program
Buffalo State’s sports teams are known as the Bengals. Buffalo State competes in 16 varsity sports
within NCAA Division III
List of Departments
Buffalo State is composed of six schools: the School of Arts and Humanities, the School of Education, the School of Natural and Social Sciences, the School of the Professions, and the Graduate School.
- Anthropology Department
- Art Conservation Department
- Art Education Department
- Biology Department
- Business Department
- Career and Technical Education
- Center for Studies in Creativity
- Chemistry Department
- Communication Department
- Computer Information Systems Department
- Criminal Justice Department
- Design Department
- Earth Sciences and Science Education
- Economics and Finance Department
- Elementary Education and Reading Department
- Engineering Technology Department
- English Department
- Exceptional Education Department
- Fashion and Textile Technology
- Fine Arts Department
- Geography and Planning Department
- Health, Nutrition, and Dietetics
- Higher Education Administration
- History and Social Studies Education Department
- Hospitality and Tourism Department
- Interior Design Department
- Mathematics Department
- Modern and Classical Languages
- Music Department
- Philosophy and Humanities
- Physics Department
- Political Science Department
- Psychology Department
- Social and Psychological Foundations
- Social Work Department
- Sociology Department
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Theater Department
- Adult Education, GCP
- Adult Education, M.S.
- Applied Economics, M.A.
- Art Conservation, M.A., C.A.S.
- Art Education, PTC
- Art Education, M.S.Ed
- Biology, M.A.
8. Business and Marketing Education, M.S.Ed
- Business and Marketing Education , PTC
- Career and Technical Education, M.S.Ed
- Career and Technical Education, PTC
- Childhood and Early Childhood Curriculum and Instruction, M.S.Ed
- Childhood and Early Childhood Education (Birth-Grade 6), M.S.Ed
- Creative Studies, M.S.
- Creativity and Change Leadership, GCP
- Criminal Justice, M.S.
- Educational Leadership, C.A.S.
- Educational Leadership Combined School Building Leader/School District Leader
(SBL/SDL) , C.A.S.
- Educational Technology, M.S.Ed
- English, M.A.
- English Education (7-12), PTC
22. English Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Foreign Language Education (1-6 Extension; 7-12), M.S.Ed
- Forensic Science, M.S.
- French Education (7-12), PTC
- Great Lakes Ecosystem Science, M.S.
- Great Lakes Ecosystem Science, M.A.
- Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration, M.S.
- History, M.A.
- Human Resource Development, GCP
- Industrial Technology, M.S.
- Literacy Specialist (Birth-Grade 12), M.S.Ed
- Mathematics Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Mathematics Education (7-12), PTC
- Mathematics Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), PTC
- Multidisciplinary Studies M.A., M.S.
- Museum Studies, GCP
- Museum Studies, M.A.
- Music Education, MAM
- Physics Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Physics Education (7-12) with Alternative Certification, M.S.Ed
- Professional Applied and Computational Mathematics, M.S.
- Public Administration in Public and Nonprofit Management, MPA
- Public Management , GCP
45. Science Education, M.S.Ed
46. Social Studies Education (7-12), PTC
- Social Studies Education (7-12), M.S.Ed
- Social Studies Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), PTC
- Spanish Education (7-12), PTC
- Special Education: Childhood Program, M.S.Ed
- Special Education: Early Childhood Program, M.S.Ed
- Speech-Language Pathology, M.S.Ed
- Students with Disabilities 7-12 Generalist and Students with Disabilities 7-12
Subject Extensions, M.S.Ed
- Teaching Bilingual Exceptional Individuals, GCP
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages - TESOL, C.A.S.
- Technology Education, M.S.Ed
- Technology Education, PTC
- African and African American Studies (Minor)
- Aging (Minor)
- Anthropology, B.A.
- Anthropology (Minor)
- Apparel Construction and Patternmaking (Minor)
- Art, B.A.
- Art Education, B.F.A.
- Art History (Minor)
- Art History, B.A.
- Art Therapy (Minor)
- Arts and Letters, B.A.
- Asian Studies (Minor)
- Astronomy (Minor)
- Biology, B.A.
- Biology (Minor)
- Business Administration, B.S.
- Business Economics (Minor)
- Business and Marketing Education, B.S.
- Career and Technical Education, B.S.
- Ceramics, B.F.A.
- Ceramics, B.S.
- Ceramics (Minor)
- Chemistry, B.S.
- Chemistry (Minor)
- Childhood Education (Grades 1-6), B.S.
- Childhood Education and English Extension (Grades 1–6 and 7-9 English
- Childhood Education and French Extension (Grades 1–6 and 7-9 French Extension),
- Childhood Education and Italian Extension (Grades 1–6 and 7-9 Italian Extension),
- Childhood Education and Mathematics Extension (Grades 1–6 and 7-9 Mathematics
- Childhood Education and Social Studies Extension (Grades 1–6 and 7-9 Social
Studies Extension), B.S.
- Childhood Education and Spanish Extension (Grades 1–6 and 7-9 Spanish
- Coaching (Minor)
- Communication Design, B.F.A.
- Communication Studies, B.A.
- Computer Information Systems (Minor)
36. Computer Information Systems, B.S.
- Creative Studies (Minor)
38. Criminal Justice (Minor)
- Criminal Justice, B.S.
- Dance (Minor)
- Design (Minor)
- Deviance (Minor)
- Didactic Program in Nutrition and Dietetics, B.S.
- Dietitian Education Program (DEP), B.S.
- Digital Music Production (Minor)
- Drafting Technologies for Interior Design (Minor)
- Drawing (Minor)
- Early Childhood Education (Birth-Grade 2), B.S.
- Early Childhood and Childhood Education (Birth - Grade 6, Combined Program),
- Earth Sciences, B.S.
- Economic Policy Analysis (Minor)
52. Economics, B.A.
- Economics, B.S.
- Electrical Engineering Technology: Electronics, B.S.
- Electrical Engineering Technology: Smart Grid, B.S.
- Energy Systems (Minor)
- English, B.A.
- English Education (7-12), B.S.
- Environment and Society (Minor)
- Environmental Science (Minor)
- Ethics (Minor)
- Exceptional Education and Childhood Education, B.S.Ed
- Exercise Science (Minor)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education, B.S.
- Fashion Design (Minor)
- Fashion and Textile Technology, B.S.
- Fibers, B.F.A.
- Fibers, B.S.
- Fibers (Minor)
- Film Studies (Minor)
- Forensic Anthropology (Minor)
- Forensic Chemistry, B.S.
- French, B.A.
- French Education (7-12), B.S.
- French and Francophone Culture (Minor)
- GIS: Geographic Information Systems (Minor)
- Geography (Minor)
- Geography, B.A.
- Geology, B.A.
- Geology (Minor)
- German (Minor)
- Global Studies (Minor)
- Health and Wellness, B.S.
- History (Minor)
- History, B.A.
- Hospitality Administration (Minor)
- Hospitality Administration, B.S.
- Indigenous Studies (Minor)
- Individualized Studies, B.S.
- Industrial Technology, B.S.
- Intelligence Analysis (Minor)
- Interior Design, B.F.A.
- Interior Design Studies (Minor)
- International Economics (Minor)
- International Relations (Minor)
96. International Relations, B.A.
- Italian (Minor)
- Journalism, B.A.
- Leadership (Minor)
- Legal Studies (Minor)
- Literary Studies (Minor)
- Mathematics (Minor)
- Mathematics, B.A.
- Mathematics Education (7-12), B.S.
- Mathematics Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Mathematics, Applied, B.S.
- Mechanical Engineering Technology, B.S.
- Media Production, B.A.
- Metals/Jewelry, B.F.A.
- Metals/Jewelry (Minor)
- Metals/Jewelry, B.S.
- Meteorology and Climatology (Minor)
- Museum Studies (Minor)
- Music, B.A.
- Music Education (Pre-K-12), Mus.B
- Painting (Minor)
- Painting, B.F.A.
- Philosophy, B.A.
- Philosophy (Minor)
- Photography (Minor)
- Photography, B.F.A.
- Physics, B.A.
- Physics, B.S.
- Physics (Minor)
- Physics Education (7-12), B.S.
- Physics Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Political Science, B.A.
- Political Science (Minor)
- Pre-Law Advisement, NOD
- Pre-Med and Pre-Health Advisement, NOD
- Printmaking (Minor)
- Printmaking, B.F.A.
- Psychology, B.A.
- Psychology, B.S.
- Psychology (Minor)
- Public Administration and Nonprofit Management (Minor)
- Public Communication, B.A.
- Quality (Minor)
- Religious Studies (Minor)
- Safety Studies (Minor)
- Sculpture, B.F.A.
- Sculpture (Minor)
- Social Studies Education (7-12), B.S.
- Social Studies Education (7-12; 5-6 Extension), B.S.
- Social Welfare (Minor)
- Social Work, B.S.
- Sociology (Minor)
- Sociology, B.A.
- Sociology—Applied, B.S.
- Spanish, B.A.
- Spanish (Minor)
- Spanish Education (7-12), B.S.
- Speech (Minor)
- Speech-Language Pathology, B.S.
- Technology Education, B.S.
- Television and Film Arts, B.A.
- Theater (Minor)
- Theater, B.A.
- Urban Civic Education (Minor)
- Urban and Regional Planning, B.S.
- Urban and Regional Planning (Minor)
- Women and Gender Studies (Minor)
- Wood/Furniture, B.S.
- Wood/Furniture (Minor)
- Wood/Furniture, B.F.A.
- Writing, B.A.
- Writing (Minor)
1. Muriel A. Howard Honors Program The scholarship is for $2,500 per academic year.
2. Presidential Scholarship Fall 2016 $ 2500($1,250 per semester)
3. Provost Scholarship Fall 2016 $ 2000($1,000 per semester)
Graduate Students: Merit-Based Scholarship Opportunities
two full-time student awards of $1,000 each
Binghamton University is one of the most selective schools in the SUNY system. In 2015, the
university received more than 30,000 applications for approximately 2,600 freshman spaces.
Fall and Spring
Click here to Download Application form