The University of Portsmouth is a very popular university, ranked among the leading modern universities. We have over 22,000 students, including more than 4,000 overseas students from over 130 countries. Our aim is to give you an excellent student experience focused on knowledge and skills essential for roles in the global workplace.
The University’s history dates back to 1908 when it was first established as Portsmouth Municipal College. The University has a strong reputation for teaching and student satisfaction with notable research strengths. We also have excellent links with industry and a strong record of student employability.
We offer undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees across a wide range of disciplines. The courses are structured to extend knowledge and broaden the skills of the students. Members of the academic staff are international experts in their fields.
Portsmouth enjoys a prime position on England’s south coast, served by first-class air, road and sea connections to the rest of Britain and Europe.
The University is ranked among the top 400 universities in the world and top modern university in the UK (THE World University Rankings 2014).
All new international (non EU and non- exchange) students starting a full-time course in September 2015 are guaranteed an offer of a place in University halls for the first year of study as long as they complete the form and pay a deposit by the deadline in August.
- Ranked among the top 400 universities in the world and top modern university in the UK (The World University Rankings 2014).
- One of the top ten modern universities in the UK, according to The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015.
- High-quality teaching
- Real-life learning
- Emphasis on employability
- Outstanding facilities
- Great student support
- Vibrant waterfront city
Location & Facilities
Just 90 minutes by direct train from the centre of London, Portsmouth is also within easy reach of Heathrow, Gatwick and Southampton airports. As a busy ferry port, it is a gateway to the continent with regular sailings to France and Spain
List of Departments / Schools / Faculty / College
- Portsmouth Business School
- Department of Accounting and Finance
- School of Law
- Department of Economics
- Department of Human Resource and Marketing Management
- Department of Strategy and Business Systems
- Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
- Portsmouth School of Architecture
- School of Art, Design and Media
- School of Creative Arts, Film and Media
- School of Creative Technologies
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
- School of Education and Continuing Studies
- School of Languages and Area Studies
- School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
- Faculty of Science
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Department of Geography
- School of Health Sciences and Social Work
- School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
- School of Professionals Complementary to Dentistry
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Sport and Exercise Science
- Faculty of Technology
- Department of Civil Engineering
- School of Computing
- School of Environmental Design and Management
- Electronic and Computer Engineering
- Department of Mathematics
- Mechanical and Design Engineering
- Learning at Work
The University of Portsmouth offers undergraduate, postgraduate and research degrees through five faculties and many specialist research groups.
English Language Requirements
If your first language is not English, the University’s minimum English language proficiency levels are:
- Undergraduate study, 6.0 in the IELTS test or equivalent, or GCSE/IGCSE English Language C. Individual courses may have a higher level of English language requirement.
- Postgraduate and research degrees applicants must have an IELTS score of 6.0 to 7.0 or equivalent.
We offer a 10% fee reduction on your first year of study in the form of a bursary. It applies to all degree courses with fees of £11,500 and above for 2015 entry for certain nationalities (all South Asian students can access it). This is in the form of an International Bursary (GOAL Award) Global Outreach: Access to Learning (Goal).
We also offer 6 Scholarships to six Indian students for the following courses:
- BA Architecture
- BA (Hons) Business and Management
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- MArch Master of Architecture
- MSc Business and Management
- MSc Computer and Information Security
The University of Portsmouth has 2 intakes: September and February.
Click here to Download Application form