Cranfield University is a British postgraduate university based on two campuses, with a research-oriented focus. The main campus is at Cranfield, Bedfordshire and the second is the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom based at Shrivenham, Oxfordshire. The main campus is unique in the United Kingdom for having its own operational airport (Cranfield Airport) next to the main campus. The facilities at the airport are used by Cranfield University's own aircraft in the course of aerospace teaching and research. The university also has connections in India and Australia.
The University was formed in 1946 as the College of Aeronautics on the former Royal Air Force base of RAF Cranfield
In 1993 a Royal Charter changed the institution's name to Cranfield University.
As the university is postgraduate, direct comparison with undergraduate institutions is difficult. Some key facts and figures are:
- Cranfield’s staff:student ratio is second among UK universities.
- Cranfield is the only university in the UK to have its own airfield.
- Cranfield’s commercial clients include airports and airlines, Formula 1 teams, banks and financial institutions, commercial and not-for-profit organisations. They have strategic relationships with household names such as Rolls-Royce, BAE Systems, Boeing, Shell and Nissan.
- Cranfield School of Management is ranked 3rd best European Business School within the UK and 13th within Europe.
- Cranfield’s MBA is ranked 18th in the world according to the Economist Intelligence Unit (2009). The Financial Times ranked Cranfield's MBA 26th best in the world in 2010.
- 54% of all aerospace engineering postgraduates and 25% of all agricultural and environmental sciences postgraduates in the UK graduate at Cranfield.
- over 10% of the UK’s engineering and sciences PhDs are awarded by Cranfield.
- Cranfield was awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize in 2005 for Further and Higher Education for its Fellowship in Manufacturing Management (FMM) programme. It was awarded the prize in 2007 for its role in humanitarian demining
- Students on the Cranfield Global Security programme were awarded the Imbert Prize in 2006, 2008 and 2009 for the development of ideas for the advancement of risk and security management in the UK.
There are a number of companies located on the Cranfield University Technology Park ranging from large international companies to small start-ups.
Major companies on the park include:
- The Nissan Technical Centre Europe, which designs and develops cars for the European market. The NTC Europe facility occupies 19,700 square metres (212,050 sq ft) of the Technology Park, representing an investment of £46m by Nissan.
- Invar Systems Limited, a major supplier of Warehouse Control Systems and Warehouse Management Systems to clients in the UK, Europe and USA. The company occupies modern air-conditioned offices with excellent facilities for clients and staff.
- Trafficmaster plc occupies a 10-acre (40,000 m2) site for its European Headquarters. A leading company in telematics, Trafficmaster's advanced technology enables cars and roads to be used more efficiently.
- Innovation Centre: the Technology Park is also the location for a large number of smaller companies.
An extension to the Technology Park was currently completed in 2008. A new Aerospace Park on the northeastern part of the campus is projected as at 2009.
Location & Facilities
Cranfield campus is approximately 50miles (80km) north of central London and adjacent to the village of Cranfield,Bedfordshire. The nearest main towns are Milton Keynes and Bedford, the centres of which are both about 8miles (13km) away. Cambridge is about 30miles (48km) east.Bedford, Milton Keynes, Oxford and Swindon all have fast rail services to central London termini, good access to the main Motorway network and London Heathrow airport.
List of Departments / Schools / Faculty / College
The five academic Schools are:
- School of Engineering, known as SoE and incorporating the original College of Aeronautics;
- School of Applied Sciences, known as SAS and formerly the School of Industrial and Manufacturing Science;
- Cranfield School of Management, known as SoM;
- Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS), Shrivenham (formerly the Defence College of Management and Technology/Royal Military College of Science);
- Cranfield Health, opened in 2008 by Professor Sir Liam Donaldson, Chief Medical Officer (1998–2010) for England and an honorary graduate of the university.
- Advanced Lightweight Structures and Impact MSc
- Advanced Materials MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Aerodynamics (Option of Aerospace Dynamics MSc)
- Aerospace Dynamics MSc (Options in Aerodynamics and Flight Dynamics)
- Aerospace Propulsion (Option of Thermal Power MSc)
- Aerospace Vehicle Design MSc (Options in Aircraft Design, Avionic Systems Design and Structural Design)
- Agricultural and Environmental Engineering MSc by Research
- Aircraft Design (Option of Aerospace Vehicle Design MSc)
- Aircraft Engineering MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Airport Planning and Management MSc
- Airport Planning and Management MSc (Executive)
- Air Transport Management MSc
- Air Transport Management MSc (Executive)
- Airworthiness MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Analytical Biotechnology MSc/ PgDip
- Applied Bioinformatics MSc
- Astronautics and Space Engineering MSc
- Automotive Product Engineering MSc
- Automotive Technology Management MSc
- Autonomous Vehicle Dynamics and Control MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Avionic Systems Design (Option of Aerospace Vehicle Design MSc)
- Carbon Capture and Transport MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Clinical Information Management MSc/PgDip
- Clinical Research Executive MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Clinical Research Management MSc/PgDip
- Clinical Research MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Community Water and Sanitation (Option of Water Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Computational and Software Techniques in Engineering MSc
- Computational Fluid Dynamics MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Computer Aided Engineering (Option of Computational and Software Techniques in Engineering MSc)
- Cost Engineering PgCert
- Information Assurance for the Public Sector MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Defence Acquisition Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Defence Leadership MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Defence Sensors and Data Fusion MSc/PgDip
- Defence Simulation and Modelling MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Design and Innovation for Sustainability MDes/PgDip/PgCert
- Design of Rotating Machines MSc
- Digital Signal and Image Processing (Option of Computational and Software Techniques in Engineering MSc)
- Driver Behaviour and Education MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Ecological Conservation (Option of Land Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Economics for Natural Resource and Environmental Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Energy Supply for Low Carbon Futures MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Energy Systems and Thermal Processes MSc
- Engineering and Management of Manufacturing Systems MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Enhanced Engineering Doctorate Programme EngD
- Environmental Diagnostics and Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Environmental Engineering MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Environmental Management for Business MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Environmental Risk Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Environmental Water Management (Option of Water Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Executive Doctorate DBA
- Explosives Ordnance Engineering MSc/PgDip
- Finance and Management MSc
- Flight Dynamics (Option of Aerospace Dynamics MSc)
- Food Chain Systems MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Forensic Archaeology and Anthropology MSc/PgDip
- Forensic Ballistics MSc/PgDip
- Forensic Computing MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Forensic Engineering and Science MSc/PgDip
- Forensic Explosives and Explosion Investigation MSc/PgDip
- Forensic Investigation MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Gas Turbine Technology (Option of Themal Power MSc)
- Geographical Information Management (GIM) MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Global Product Development and Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Global Security MSc/PgDip
- Global Water Policy and Management (Option of Water Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Grid Computing & e-Engineering (Option of Computational and Software Techniques in Engineering MSc)
- Guided Weapon Systems MSc
- Gun Systems Design MSc/PgDip
- Health and the Environment MSc/PgDip
- Human Factors and Safety Assessment in Aeronautics MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Information Management and Technology MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Information Operations PgCert
- Innovation and Creativity in Industry Master of Design MDes/MTech/PgDip/PgCert
- Integrated Vehicle Health Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- International Defence and Security Marketing MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- International Human Resource Management Executive MSc
- International Security MSc/PgDip/PgCert .
- Knowledge Management for Innovation MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert
- Land and Water Management PhD with Integrated Studies
- Land Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert
- Land Reclamation and Restoration (Option of Land Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management Executive MSc/PgDip
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management MSc
- Management and Information Systems MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Management PhD
- Managing Organisational Performance Executive MSc
- Manufacturing Consultancy MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Manufacturing PhD with Integrated Studies
- Master of Business Administration MBA
- Materials for Energy Systems MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- MBA - Master of Business Administration (Defence)
- Medical Diagnostics MSc/PgDip
- Medical Technology Regulatory Affairs MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Microsystems and Nanotechnology MSc/MTech/PgDip
- Military Aerospace and Airworthiness MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Military Electronic Systems Engineering MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Military Operational Research MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Military Vehicle Technology MSc/PgDip
- Molecular Medicine MSc/PgDip
- Motorsport Engineering and Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert
- Nanomedicine MSc/PgDip
- Natural Resource Management (Option of Land Management MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Offshore and Ocean Technology MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert
- Offshore Materials Engineering (Option of Offshore and Ocean Technology MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Offshore Renewable Energy (Option of Offshore and Ocean Technology MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Operations Excellence MSc
- Pipeline Engineering (Option of Offshore and Ocean Technology MSc/MTech/PgDip/PgCert)
- Power, Propulsion and the Environment (Option of Thermal Power MSc/PgDip)
- Pre-Master's Course in Engineering
- Process Systems Engineering MSc
- Programme and Project Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert
- Quality Management in Scientific Research and Development MSc/PgDip/PgCert
Its is a Postgraduate Uni. Part from PG courses Short courses or Cpd courses are available but no Ug courses.
Bursaries of up to £3000.00 are available to international students.
School of Applied Sciences
The School offer a number of scholarships to overseas students each year. Applicants must be able to support themselves and cover the remainder of the fee. The final decision on scholarships is made in May of each year and is based on the qualifications and experience of each candidate. In order to be considered, you must have received an offer for a place on your chosen programme of study/research well in advance of this time.
School of Management
Cranfield University offers a number of scholarships for our MBA programme. The scholarships available to MBA students are listed below:
- European Leadership Scholarships
- The IKOS Scholarship
- The European Scholarship
- Santander Abbey Scholarships
- MBA Agrifarm Charitable Foundation Scholarships
- The Bettany Scholarship for Entrepreneurs
- Cranfield Trust MBA Scholarships for the Voluntary Sector in Europe
- The Cranfield MBA Scholarship for Women
- Cranfield MBA Scholarships
- The Leo Murray Scholarship
January / October
Click here to Download Application form