As far as studying abroad goes, the United States of America is the most popular destination worldwide, each year attracting more and more foreign students. If you’re hoping to study abroad in the US and grab a slice of the American dream though, you’ll need a USA Student Visa. Whilst this is a vital step in the studying abroad application process, it needn’t be confusing. This article takes you through each step of applying and securing a student visa for studying in America.
Getting your visa to study in the United States takes time but can be a surprisingly easy procedure. It is well worth the effort. In many countries, the number of student visas issued by the United States has grown significantly in the last year.
While the application process for an international student or exchange visitor visa can be confusing, hundreds of thousands of students are able to meet the requirements for a visa each year.
US Department of Homeland Security's follow the policy of - “Open Doors Secure Borders”
USA visa is divided broadly into two categories:
Non Immigrant and Immigrant visas
A non immigrant visa basically is a short term visa for a temporary stay, while an Immigrant visa facilitates permanent stay in U.S.
Students who wish to study in the US are required to apply for a non-immigrant visa and the type of visa is mentioned on the I-20 which is F1, M1, J1
When should a Student apply?
- As soon as the student receives the I - 20 from the University he / she can start with the visa process
- He / She cannot take a visa date more than 120 days before the program start date on Form I-20
- A student cannot enter USA more than 30 days prior to the program date.
Student wishing to study in USA must satisfy an officer that
- Must satisfy that his intentions to enter USA are for educational purposes only.
- That they have sufficient funds for their tuition fees, to maintain themselves and stay in USA.
- They will leave USA by the end of the period authorized for his stay.
- That they will not contravene the conditions of admission (for example that they will not work without prior authorization or waiver).
Eligibility for USA Students Visa
- Student should have a valid I – 20 from the Educational Institution from USA.
- SEVIS payment.
- Relevant academic or admission tests like TOEFL, GMAT, etc are recommended but not mandatory.
- Students who has sufficient funds for the duration of the course. 1st year’s funds in liquid assets.
How to pay the visa fees and payment options?
Each visa applicant is required to pay a non-refundable, non-transferable machine readable visa (MRV) application fee, whether a visa is issued or not.
There are 3 modes of payment for paying the visa application fees of 160 USD. (Check current rate available on payment page of the profile)
- National Electronic Fund Transfer (NEFT)
- Through Mobile Phones (IMPS)
- Pay in cash over the counter at 1,800 Axis and Citibank branches. Druk bank is only in Bhutan.
USA Visa Interviews
There are two appointments to be scheduled at the same time and both interviews are on two different days.
Appointment 1 - Student have to visit Offsite Facilitation Center (OFC) to submit fingerprints and photo prior to actual visa interview.
Appointment 2 - Actual consular visa interview at US Embassy or Consulate.
Supporting Documents for USA Visa Interview
All original documents should be carried, make sure that there are no fake documents.
- Passport, Visa fee receipt, Interview appointment letter, DS-160 Confirmation page.
- I – 20 in original with the student’s signature.
- SEVIS fee receipt.
- Financial resources: Original documents required. Proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year expenses as well as proof of semi
- liquid assets to cover the remaining years of studies and IT Returns of the sponsor.
- Academic documents.
- Acceptance letter or rejection letter from any other university.
We help you with the entire USA visa process like, filling up applications, preparing financial statements, and also guidance and training for mock interviews and much more.
We are regularly advised by the consulates about the latest visa documentation and rules and have a success rate of over 99%. Visa guidance is free for all Edwise students for all countries.
For any queries, contact Edwise on 1-800-200-3678 / 08600911333