The GRE is designed to measure your verbal, quantitative and analytical writing skills that you have developed in the course of your academic career. Each of these sections focuses on skills necessary for success in graduate school: the higher you score the more likely you will be to complete your graduate degree. In most places, the computer based test is available on a continuous basis throughout the year.
In the GRE Revised General Test, you will be able to change your answers, all within a section. In addition, a calculator is available on the quantitative reasoning section to reduce the emphasis on computation. The total testing time is 3 hours and 45 minutes, which includes the unscored section
- The Analytical Writing task requires you to provide focused responses to questions, and to demonstrate your ability in responding to the task presented
- The Verbal Reasoning section measures your ability to analyze and evaluate written material and synthesize information obtained from it; understand the meanings of words, sentences and the ability to understand what you read and how you apply your reasoning skills
- The Quantitative Reasoning section tests basic mathematical concepts; however it includes more data analysis and real life scenarios to better gauge your skills
- Analytical Writing consists of two writing tasks: one issue task and one argument, both separately timed at 30 minutes each task
- Two Verbal Reasoning sections consists of 20 questions per section, the time allotted is 30 minutes per section
- Two Quantitative Reasoning sections consists of 20 questions per section, time allotted per section is 35 minutes
- One unscored section, typically a verbal reasoning or quantitative reasoning section that will appear at any point in the test
TEST TAKING STRATEGIES
- Some questions on the Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning sections require you to select a single answer choice, while others require you to select one or more answer choices and yet some require you to enter a numeric answer. Ensure that when answering a question, you fully understand the type of response required
- When taking the computer based GRE revised test, you can skip questions that you have difficulty answering. The mark and review feature allows you to mark questions that you would like to come back to during the time provided to work on that section. In addition, you can review questions that you have already answered and change your answers provided you have time left on that section
- The Verbal and Quantitative reasoning scores are determined by the number of questions you answer correctly. There is no negative marking for an incorrect answer, try to increase your scores on both these sections by answering every question
- Work as quickly as you can without being careless. Do not waste time considering questions you find difficult
- Answer the questions on the Verbal and Quantitative sections that you can answer with certainty. Go back and answer the questions that require more thinking, concluding with the difficult questions
- During the actual GRE revised general test, you may only work on one section at a time and only for the time allotted. Once you complete a section, you cannot go back
What Edwise Students Say...
“I thank Edwise and the faculty who helped cracks the GRE with great scores. The number of mock tests given to me prepared me for the final test. It is only because of Edwise, I am currently studying in one of the best universities in USA.”
Aditi Avadh - GRE Coaching
“I was planning on preparing for GRE myself but then I found about Edwise and it was undoubtedly a very great decision. The study material is great and the course offers a lot of books to study from. Edwise was also very flexible with timing which really helps a student prepare. Moreover the study environment is great and everyone is very friendly. Edwise has a huge role to play in me getting a good score.”
Sheetanshu Tyagi - GRE coaching
“Teachers are very helpful, always there to guide you. There are plenty of practice books that can be very useful for the students. Tests happen every week, which aids the student to know if he/his is making enough progress.”
Aditi – GRE Coaching
Overseas Education Consultant
We at Edwise streamline and personalize the process for each student irrespective of the destination, institution, course or any level of study. Our team of experienced professionals will provide you individual attention and exceptional guidance throughout your process of application. We provide assistance related to course selections, admission, visa, bank-loan and scholarships. We also host University delegates for direct student interaction and all these services are provided free of cost. We have established since 1991 and have been maintaining strong networks with over 575 universities in 16 countries, hence giving us a unique insight into the finest educational establishments worldwide.
Start your education in Canada with valuable information on everything you need to know about studying abroad from study permits, temporary resident visas and how much it costs, to finding a program.
Do visit your nearest Edwise branch & choose your university carefully under our expert guidance and ensure that you have all your paperwork in order. Once you apply, and the wait is over, you can really begin to look forward to not only studying in a beautiful and vibrant country, but also to a life experience quite like no other.
For complete information & enrolment on Overseas Education process, Contact Edwise on 1-800-200-3678 (Toll Free) / 08600911333.